Mike Dovilla is an Ohio legislator, U.S. Navy veteran, small business owner, adjunct professor, and nonprofit leader. His passions are to serve hard-working Ohioans and bring common sense back to government. Mike is currently serving his third term in the Ohio House of Representatives, where his colleagues elected him Majority Whip. Seeking to continue working for his fellow Clevelanders, he has announced his candidacy for the open seat in the 24th Ohio Senate District in 2016.
Since 1992, Mike has been actively engaged in the public policymaking process at local, state, federal, and international levels. He has a unique ability to bring together people and solve complex challenges. Mike has served as an appointee of President George W. Bush at the U.S. Office of Personnel Management, a principal advisor to former U.S. Senator George V. Voinovich, and a Presidential Management Fellow at the U.S. Department of State.
A lifelong Republican, Mike was elected in 2010 to represent the residents of Berea, North Royalton, Olmsted Falls, Olmsted Township, and Strongsville in the Legislature. He was reelected in 2012 and 2014, knocking on over 55,000 doors in his three campaigns. Among his legislative accomplishments are measures encouraging economic development, strengthening education, protecting senior citizens, advocating for veterans, and improving government transparency and accountability. In addition to his work in the Ohio General Assembly, Mike teaches as an adjunct professor at Baldwin Wallace University and manages The Dovilla Group, a strategic consulting firm.
Mike is a lieutenant commander in the Reserve Component of the U.S. Navy, having earned his commission in 2002. In 2007-2008, he completed a 12-month deployment in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. As Deputy Officer-in-Charge, he led a 25-person, Baghdad-based intelligence headquarters staff for Combined Joint Task Force Troy, the counter-improvised explosive device brigade in Iraq. Mike’s past reserve assignments have been with the Office of Naval Intelligence and Chief of Naval Operations. He currently serves with a unit supporting United States European Command. A qualified Information Dominance Warfare Officer, his military decorations include the Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Joint Service Achievement Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, Army Achievement Medal, and various campaign and unit awards.
Mike holds a Master of Public Administration from The American University and Bachelor of Arts (Economics and Political Science) from Baldwin Wallace University. He is a lifelong student of Leadership, U.S. and Ohio History, and American Government. Mike’s interests include the role of transformational leadership in civic stewardship, nonprofit leadership, and community building.
An engaged member of our community, Mike serves as an at-large member of the Baldwin Wallace University Alumni Council and national vice president of the Phi Kappa Tau Fraternity. In 2009, he was named an American Marshall Memorial Fellow by the German Marshall Fund of the United States. Made a Master Mason in 2002, he is a member of Rocky River Lodge No. 703. Mike is a liturgist at his church, a College Now Greater Cleveland mentor, and a member of the Kiwanis Club of Berea, The City Club of Cleveland, American Legion Post 91 (Berea), and Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3345 (Strongsville).
Mike is a baseball enthusiast and diehard Indians fan since the Cleveland Municipal Stadium days. He enjoys spending time researching his family’s Italian, German, and Irish ancestry, working on his golf game, dabbling in the kitchen with family recipes, and hanging out with his best friend, Halsey, the yellow Lab. Mike resides in his hometown of Berea.
- American Legion Post 91, Berea
- Kiwanis Club of Berea
- Rocky River Lodge No. 703, Grand Lodge of Ohio, Free & Accepted Masons
- Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3345, Strongsville
- Liturgist, United Methodist Church of Berea
- Member-at-Large, Baldwin Wallace University Alumni Council
- Member, Political Science, International Studies, and Legal Studies Advisory Committee, Baldwin Wallace University
- National Vice President, Phi Kappa Tau Fraternity
- Trustee, Phi Kappa Tau Foundation
- Vice President, Phi Kappa Tau Properties
- Mentor, College Now Greater Cleveland
- Chairman, Ohio State Advisory Board, National Defense Committee
- Benjamin Rose Institute Katz Advocacy Award, Western Reserve Area Agency on Aging, 2015
- Small Business Advocate Award, Council of Smaller Enterprises, 2014
- Robert E. Hughes Memorial Award, Ohio Association of Election Officials, 2014
- Distinguished Governmental Service Award, Ohio Association of Career Colleges & Schools, 2014
- Susan E. Hand Friend of the Industry Award, Ohio Association of Convention & Visitor Bureaus, 2013
- Outstanding Leadership Award, Consortium Against Adult Abuse (C3A), 2012
- Watchdog of the Treasury Award, United Conservatives of Ohio, 2012
- Bridge Builder Award, Phi Kappa Tau Foundation, 2012
- American Marshall Memorial Fellow, German Marshall Fund of the United States, 2009